The sleep issues continue and we are at our wits end. The worst night this week was when he was awake and crying from midnight until about 4 a.m. and then was awake again at 6 a.m. I don't know what the deal is. We have stopped giving him milk products after supper in case it is a lactose intolerance issue--that helps (sometimes). I have been reciting scriptures and praying over him out loud and it works wonders when he is initially going to sleep, but the midnight hours are a lost cause to anything we try. I finally called his family doctor today to see if we can come in and have him checked out. Maybe it is something as simple as an ear infection with no symptoms. Maybe it IS just teething. Our doctor is still on medical leave and I have a feeling he is not going to come back (sob...we love him). There is no replacement for him right now and his partner is away as well. When I told them the issue she put me on hold for about 10 minutes and came back with an appointment for next Wednesday. There should be a doctor in from Edmonton next week. I love Dorothy at the clinic. She always has my back. THANK YOU!!
Other than that, this week has been a week of making appointments. Mikail goes for his 18 month check ups in Edmonton in November. He will see a new specialist (a pediatric rehabilitation doctor) as well as the usual ones we see at the Glenrose Rehabilitation Clinic. I just pray that by the time we go for his appointments he will be walking. He'll be just over 18 months old and although I know he will walk, my Mama heart would love for him to walk for these appointments. We then head to the Stollery Children's Hospital for an EEG to see how his brain is doing and then FINALLY get to see Dr. Yager, his Neurologist again. He hasn't been seen by him since November 2010. It's time.
I also talked to the Pediatric Stroke Nurse Practitioner at the Stollery. On Mikail's discharge papers from the Stollery in May of 2010 it says that Mikail, Jason and I should be having a 'thrombophili work-up' done. Basically checking to see if Mikail has a clotting disorder and seeing whether this whole drama is a genetic issue which could affect us having future children. When talking to his (new) pediatrician in June, he was concerned that we were trying for baby #2 without the blood work having been completed. Soooo it seems to be that it is not necessary to do the blood work (thrombophili work-up). The nurse practitioner explained that in 2009, after much research, it was decided that if there is not a family history of stroke or blood clotting disorders the tests would no longer be done because they didn't really tell us anything. Often when the tests are done the patient then has an impossible time getting health and life insurance in the future. She explained that Mikail's file really indicates that his stroke was most likely due to the incredibly long and difficult labour and birth. So, there it is and I am completely at peace about this. Now if only we could get a baby-bean to stick one of these months.
That's it for now...